Euro Schecky

John Caldwell at the European Poker Tour

Friday, September 30, 2005

Two hours into day one, and I have zero chips

Well, yes, but this is because I don’t play until tomorrow. I was informed upon arrival that is is a two flight event, because they can only accommodate 128 players at a time. So, the tournament is sold out at 256, and each flight of 128 plays down to 12. All 24 remaining players after two flights are in the money, and play down to nine…then they start the TV. The only players that I know for sure who are playing today are Raymer, and Kirill G. Tony, Noah, and I definitely got day two. I’m sure I will have the both of them to my left. I’m a bit surprised, but Marcel is not here. He must be in Aruba. All the top European players (save Marcel, and Devilfish) are here, and I ran into many of them as we were all packed into a small ish place. One surprise player here is Kathy Liebert, who must have qualified online at Stars, because she was in our Poker Stars player welcome luncheon.

So, sorry for the anticlimactic post, but it appears my poker will start tomorrow at 3pm local time.

The Vic is a very cool place, but is terribly understaffed for this kind of an event. I felt bad for them as they struggled to keep everything together. Conrad, Otis, and the people at Poker Stars were all really great, and did everything they could to try to pitch in. There are actually poker tables on three different levels for this event…and remember, we only have 13 or 14 tables in play at a time. Another thing I learned about the Vic is they have some big cash games here. Outside of Bellagio, and maybe a couple other places, this place has got to have the biggest games. Everytime I begin to fool myself into thinking I am a poker player, I walk by one of these games, see the amount of money on the table, and am instantly reminded I am a tournament player. See you tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please post more pictures of kittens.

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John has started playing and an hour and a half in still has 10k in chips.

There's terrific coverage of this event on the BlondePoker forum boards. There are a lot more updates than the Poker Stars blog...and you can ask the writer questions.

http://www.blondepoker.com/reports/011000.html

I've got him tuned into John now...so maybe we'll get lucky and even see a pic. Trust me, this is a lot faster than waiting for John to post again. Fingers crossed he won't be out of there before 4:00 a.m. London time.

Positve thoughts his way if you're reading....

Jen

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

6pm (London time)
There's a pic of John up on the poker blog. Dinner at 7pm

http://www.pokerstarsblog.com/2005/10/ept-london-by-numbers.html

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home