Euro Schecky

John Caldwell at the European Poker Tour

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Quality of Life


Jen and I have spent the last four days in a small town on the coast of Spain called Cadaquez. It was originally supposed to be my first actual days off in two years, but I still haven’t found anyone who can fill in for me with respect to creating the news stories at PokerNews, so I had to work two or three hours a day, but we definitely made the most of the rest of those days.

We rented a scooter, and drove all up and down Costa Brava. A place that particularly fascinated me was a place called Cap de Creus. It’s the point of land near where the Atlantic, and Mediterranean meet, so the winds can get to 140 mph, and are often in the 20-30 mph range. This place is essentially untouched, and you have about a 140 degree view where you literally cannot see one sign of civilization. Just like it was about, oh, 1,000 years ago. There is a lighthouse at the top of the cape, and, oddly enough, an old, beat up Indian restaurant (at least a restaurant that serves Indian food). The view is unique among all the places I have been in my life, and I’m not sure I wanted to leave.

In Cadaquez, you hear people talk about quality of life…..a lot, and you realize they have it in spades. Sure, there aren’t many places with high speed internet, and there are maybe 10 or 12 restaurants in the whole town. But, the people here lead full, rich lives. Lives that simply aren’t possible in Los Angeles. They manage to make a living, have kids, laugh, and have a roof over their head….all in one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

The words ‘quality of life’ are dirty words to some people I know, and I think my visit here has prompted me to seek more of it. I hope I can hold to this, and the desire doesn’t disappear when the views do. See you all soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home