Euro Schecky

John Caldwell at the European Poker Tour

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Ladies and gentleman - Dick Van Patten!

One of the funny things about my life is that I get invited to parties that I know there is a good chance I won't enjoy, but somehow I wind up going thinking this one will be different.

The 'Hollywood Poker 1st anniversary Party' had potential, in that it was at a place called the Montmartre Lounge, which of course is a reference to the Montmartre, one of the tres cool clubs of old Hollywood, where Howard Hughes alledgedy first met Ava Gardner back in the day.

But, I digress. This party was a fanstastic mix of old Hollywood, new Poker, and the people who get paid to show up at this stuff. Some guy even handed me (on the SUPER sly....at first I really thought he was giving me drugs) a slip of paper that said 'Improve your life - get invited to some of the most fabulous parties in LA and NYC'. My first thought is 'Would my life improve by my ending it after I went to half a dozen of this guys parties?' My second thought was 'Did this guy look at me when he handed me this??'

For now, let's talk guest list. Jeff Ross, Dick, and Vince Van Patten, Dennis Quaid, some guy from 'Lost', SCOTT BAIO (Uh, Huh....Scott Baio...told you it was big), Shannon Elizabeth, the guy from Home Improvement and Family Feud, Kathie Lee Crosby from 'That's incredible', and and many others. I felt really bad for them, because James Woods, who is one of the main two people in the Hollywood ads....Didn't show. Poker pros in attendance were Amir Vahedi, Hasan Habib, and Gank.

The silent auction was kinda funny too....pick the item that doesn't fit that was up for auction - iPod, Jean Jacket, $100 gift cert, tennis lesson with Vince, $400,000 Porsche, Plantronics headset, two tickets to a Laker game. Give up? Yeah, who wants to go to a Laker game?

Anyway, a good time was had by all, the free drinks were only free in the VIP area (learned that one the hard way by paying for the first round - $5 for a club soda???). I must say that Vince was a trooper...he went up, and put on a good show introducing the 'Hollywood Poker Calendar girls', and doing some schtick with his Dad telling stories about how Don Adams used to come over and play poker. Don Adams! Now that would have been a game I would have liked to be in.

Ok, that's it for now....I have to go and call this number on this little piece of paper this guy gave me....

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen Leo said...

I didn't have a good time.

And hunky David Williams walked in as we were leaving. Also, I met Howie from Big Brother. He was wearing a Chicago Cubs shirt with his name on the back and carrying a light saber. I knew he was "somebody" so I asked him what his story was. He told me he was a Jedi. I apologized for not recognizing him and asked him who he really was.

He asked if I watched the show, I said no, and he started to explain it. But I told him I'd sort of seen it a long time ago so we could skip the details. Then he asked me what my story was....

Gossip columnist for BLUFF mangazine, I replied. He perked up and pulled out his web address on a 3x5 college ruled note card. Wrote his name and TV show on it. Then, and this suprised me because I was not catching any vibe, leaned in and kissed me before walking away. (And John walking up).

Did he think that I looked like some pathetic chick where a kiss on my cheek, halfway to my ear, would be so thrilling that I'd certainly write him up? Or better yet, improve the Nielsen ratings for Big Brother?
Or had he not yet mastered air kisses the way the truly fake LA types have?

Didn't matter.

Samm Levine from "Freaks and Geeks" was also there.

Next?

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home